Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex: Which Is Better?
This post may contain affiliate links.
Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex
If you’re like most women, you take great pride in taking care of your hair. You probably have a few go-to products that you use regularly to keep it looking healthy and shiny. And chances are you’ve heard a thing or two about Olaplex and Bondi Boost. What’s the difference? Is one better than the other? In this blog post, we’ll compare Bondi Boost vs Olaplex and help you decide which is the best option for your hair.
Bondi Boost and Olaplex have quite literally taken the haircare world by storm. As two of the most popular hair care brands on the market, it can be hard to distinguish the differences and figure out what your hair needs.
These two brands are actually very different and this post will help you decide which brand is best for your hair needs.
About Bondi Boost
Bondi Boost is a Australian haircare brand that offers a range of products designed to nourish and protect the hair. The brand’s signature product is the Bondi Boost HG line which promotes hair growth for healthier and thicker looking hair. Since the successful launch of their HG line, they have since come out with a wide range of hair care lines for any and all hair types from dry, frizzy, thin, and also have products for dandruff, blondes and even pets!
They have a range of products including shampoo/conditioner, hair masks, hair oils, styling tools and so much more.
Bondi Boost is cruelty-free and they use only the best natural ingredients in their formulations. Their products are backed by research and the rave reviews speak for themselves.
Their mission is to “make the world a better place” and donate $1 from every purchase to their chosen not-for-profits including the Zambi Wildlife Retreat and Sanctuary, Westmead Children’s Hospital, Mettle Women Inc. and many more.
Bondi Boost Lines
The brand has about 7 different lines of products that are targeted for specific hair types and concerns. They also have styling tools, vitamins and supplements, combs and brushes, and have recently launched skincare products. Here are the main Bondi Boost haircare lines:
- HG Line – The best-selling line that focuses on promoting hair growth, reduces hair loss and breakage. It features ingredients like Aloe Vera, Rosemary, Peppermint, Saw Palmetto which help to promote healthy hair growth
- Thickening Therapy – A line of products that help to add volume to the hair, make it appear thicker and fuller. It has hyaluronic acid, collagen and other plant extracts to thicken and plump hair
- Heavenly Hydration – A line for dry and dehydrated hair. It uses their patented ingredient, Aquaxyl™ to hydrate strands and replenish moisture
- Curl Boss – A line for curly and wavy hair. It helps to add definition to your waves and curls, hydrate and tame frizz
- Dandruff Repair – A line that helps to soothe and nourish the scalp while reducing dandruff flakes. It contains Zinc Pyrithione and Peppermint Essential Oil to fight dandruff and keep the scalp healthy
- Rapid Repair – A line that helps to repair damage and protect the hair from further breakage. It instantly seals split ends and nourishes the hair to reduce breakage and damage
- Blonde Baby – A line for blonde hair that helps to hydrate and nourish while adding shine and reducing brassiness. It has violet pigments to neutralize unwanted yellow tones
As you can see, Bondi Boost pretty much has a product for everyone! Each line contains shampoo, conditioner and a nourishing, intensive hair mask. Most lines also contain other products like leave in treatments, oils, scalp scrubs. heat protectants and styling products.
Olaplex is a hair care brand that is best known for their bond-building technology. This technology helps to repair damage and prevent further breakage by reconnecting broken bonds in the hair.
Olaplex was created by two chemists, Dean Christal and Dr. Craig Hawker, after years of research. Their patented active ingredient, bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate, instantly repairs broken disulfide bonds in the hair.
Hair naturally has bonds but these bonds can be broken by heat styling, bleach, coloring, etc. When these bonds break, hair can become dry, brittle or frizzy and it can lead to split ends and breakage.
According to their website, the brand was founded in a garage and eventually landed in salons. It was first a professional-only brand that was used mostly during bleaching to to protect and repair during the lightening process.
The brand has since launched best-selling at home products containing their patented ingredient so that everyone can have healthier hair.
Unlike Bondi Boost, the Olaplex line is much smaller. It features shampoo, conditioner, treatments and leave in products all with the same patented ingredient to repair hair. In total, it only has about 9 products in their at home range.
- Olaplex No. 0 Intensive Bond Building Hair Treatment – This is a pre-treatment that you use before Olaplex No. 3. It helps to prepare the hair for Olaplex No. 3 and is known as the ‘bond multiplier.’ Basically it just intensifies the effects of the No. 3
- Olaplex No. 3 – This is the star product and it’s what made Olaplex famous. It’s a reparative, pre-shampoo treatment that reduces breakage and split ends while repairing broken bonds for smoother, softer and healthier hair
- Olaplex No. 4 – A bond-building shampoo that repairs damage and strengthens hair while gently cleansing and hydrating the hair. It’s best used in conjunction with the conditioner
- Olaplex No. 4p – a pigmented version of their original shampoo, this one is a purple toning shampoo for blondes to get rid of unwanted yellow or brassy tones in the hair
- Olaplex No. 5 – A bond-building conditioner that repairs damage and strengthens hair that instantly untangles and hydrates the hair
- Olaplex No. 6 – A leave-in reparative styling cream that helps to reduce frizz, add shine and protect the hair from heat damage
- Olaplex No. 7 – A reparative hair oil that smooths the hair, adds shine and reduces frizz while protecting the hair against heat styling
- Olaplex No. 8 – A reparative deep conditioner that helps to repair damage, add shine and and hydration back into the hair
- Olaplex No. 9 – A leave-in reparative styling serum that helps to add shine, smooth the hair and protect against heat damage while helping to detangle and smooth frizz
As you can see, Olaplex has less of a range when it comes to products. While Bondi Boost has products for all hair types, Olaplex is mainly focused on their bond-building technology and repairing damaged hair.
All the Olaplex products have their patented ingredient to repair broken bonds. They also have salon only products that your hair stylist can use while your getting your hair bleached or colored to help keep the integrity of the hair and reduce damage during the coloring process.
Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex
Now we’ll look at the differences between Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex in terms of formulations, pricing, etc.
Olaplex is certainly more expensive than Bondi Boost. Their shampoo and conditioner retail for $28 for 3.3oz. And although their highly concentrated so you don’t need a lot of product, that’s certainly more expensive than Bondi Boost’s $29.95 for 16oz of product. Plus you can often get a bundled discount when you purchase the shampoo/conditioner duo or one of their other bundles.
With Bondi Boost, you can typically get a full range of products including shampoo/conditioner, mask and leave in for about $85 when you buy one of their bundles.
And if you bought a shampoo, conditioner, treatment and leave-in from Olaplex, you’d be looking at about $112. Which isn’t a terrible difference, but considering you get significantly more product with Bondi Boost, it’s obviously the cheaper option. Typically all the Olaplex products retail for $28 each, unless you get their mini or travel size products
This is where the major differences are between Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex. Since Olaplex contains a patented ingredient, Bondi Boost will obviously not have the same bond repairing technology. In fact, Bondi Boost does not have a bond repairing line at all.
The most similar line would be their Rapid Repair line that seals split ends and strengthens hair to reduce breakage. However, it’s still completely different than Olaplex, and frankly, not even close in comparison.
While Bondi Boost has a ton of great products with well-researched and natural ingredients, the formulations may not be enough for those with very damaged hair or those that bleach or color their hair often.
One plus about Bondi Boost is that they offer so many different products that you can definitely find a line targeted towards your hair type and concerns. While Olaplex just focuses on repairing broken bonds in the hair – which anyone can benefit from, but it’s not as targeted for specific concerns like dandruff or dry scalp.
When it comes to performance, both brands work great.
Bondi Boost’s products are very nourishing and hydrating for the hair. Their shampoos are very gentle and never leave my hair feeling stripped or dry. I love using their Elixir oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to nourish and moisturize my hair.
Their Rapid Repair line does an amazing job at sealing split ends and reducing breakage. And their HG line is one of my all time favorites! It’s refreshing and smells amazing, plus I totally love how my hair feels after using it – clean and healthy!
I have been using one of their newer line, Thickening Therapy, and it’s perfect for my fine hair. I do find my hair feels and looks thicker when I use it. I am really loving the Bondi Boost thickening shampoo – it really makes my hair feel so soft and bouncy.
Although I love Bondi Boost’s products, Olaplex is just on another level and it can do things for my hair that Bondi Boost can’t. Olaplex is what I reach for when my hair is dry, damaged, frizzy and just a mess! It helps to smooth my hair, reduce split ends and keep my hair shiny and healthy.
They’re both great brands with incredible products, but it really just comes down to what your hair needs. If your heat style, bleach, color or perm your hair often, you’ll definitely want Olaplex.
But if you’re just wanting something more natural that will keep your hair healthy, Bondi Boost is a great option.
Keep in mind that you can totally use them together! I use Olaplex No. 3 once a month or so and use either Bondi Boost or Olaplex shampoo or conditioner depending on how my hair feels. My hair has never been healthier since I started using both of these brands! So if you still can’t decide between Bondi Boost vs Olaplex, you can always do both!
Olaplex Pros & Cons
- Suitable For All Hair Types
- Uses A Patented Ingredient
- Repairs damage, split ends and breakage
- More expensive
- Some products are professional-only
- Less tailored treatments
Bondi Boost Pros & Cons
- Uses Natural Ingredients
- Less expensive
- More lines targeted to specific hair concerns
- Products smell great
- Not as repairing as Olaplex
- Less accessible – Olaplex is sold in more stores
Bondi Boost Rapid Repair Vs Olaplex
The Bondi Boost Rapid Repair line often gets compared to Olaplex. But are they really the same?
Honestly, no. Olaplex is completely different than the Rapid Repair line. So different, in fact, they really shouldn’t even be compared.
As we know, Olaplex uses a patented ingredient to actually repair broken bonds in the hair. This is something that no other brand can do.
The Bondi Boost Rapid Repair line, on the other hand, just focuses on strengthening hair to reduce breakage and seal split ends. The line has ingredients like shea butter and plant oils to moisturize and nourish the hair, plus things like proteins which can help to strengthen the hair.
So while both products can help improve the health of your hair, Olaplex actually repairs damage while Bondi Boost just helps to strengthen hair to prevent more damage from occurring.
Is Bondi Boost Better Than Olaplex?
This is a hard question to answer. They’re both great brands with amazing products that can really improve the health of your hair.
If your hair is damaged or you frequently bleach, color or heat style your hair, then Olaplex is definitely the better choice. There’s really nothing on the market that can compare to what Olaplex can do for damaged hair.
But if you’re just looking for a good, all around product to help keep your hair healthy, then Bondi Boost is a great option. Their products are very nourishing and hydrating and will leave your hair feeling clean and healthy.
So it really just comes down to what your hair needs. If it’s damaged, go with Olaplex. If you just want to keep your hair healthy, Bondi Boost is a great choice.
Is There A Better Product Than Olaplex?
There’s nothing on the market currently that does exactly what Olaplex does. Since it uses a patented ingredient, it’s really one of a kind. However, there are other bond-building products on the market, but they all use a different technology to repair broken bonds.
One that often gets compared to Olaplex is the K18 Leave-In Repair Hair Mask, but again, it uses different technology.
Does Olaplex Promote Hair Growth?
Olaplex can help improve the health of your hair, which in turn can promote hair growth. Healthy hair is more likely to grow than damaged hair, so by using Olaplex to repair damage and keep your hair healthy, you’re giving your hair the best chance possible to grow.
Do Hairdressers Like Bondi Boost?
Yes, many hairdressers love Bondi Boost! The products are very nourishing and hydrating, plus they’re affordable which is always a bonus. There are many salons that used Bondi Boost products in their business and also sell the Bondi Boost products so their clients can purchase them while at the salon for their appointments.
Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex: Conclusion
Both hair care brands are cult-favorites for a reason! With best sellers and rave reviews, you really can’t go wrong with Bondi Boost or Olaplex. But depending on your hair needs, one may be better than the other.
If your hair is damaged, Olaplex is the better choice as it can actually repair damage. If you’re just looking for a good, all-around product to help keep your hair healthy, then Bondi Boost is a great option and is more tailored to specific hair concerns like curls, frizz or dandruff.
Although Bondi Boost doesn’t have the same magic powers as Olaplex, it’s still a great brand with hardly any negative reviews.
Olaplex can truly transform your hair, so if you’re needing something powerful and effective, go with Olaplex.
You can always use both products and mix and match your hair care routine depending on what your hair needs. For example, if you suffer from dandruff and damaged hair, you can always use the Olaplex treatment and the Bondi Boost Dandruff line. You can really customize your hair care routine thanks to the wide range of the Bondi Boost product lines.
Related To Bondi Boost Vs Olaplex
- Olaplex For Curly Hair: Does It Work?
- Ouai Vs Olaplex Haircare
- Best Olaplex Dupes That Are Even Better
- Best Drugstore Shampoos For Oily Hair
- How To Make Bleached Hair Soft And Silky
- Olaplex Vs K18 – Which Is Better?
- Is Pantene Bad For Your Hair
Elizabeth is the owner of The Blushing Bliss, a skincare and beauty blog that she started to order to help others navigate the overwhelming world of skincare. With skincare trends constantly changing, there’s one thing that will always be true: science. Elizabeth is here to help decode the science behind skincare and with a background in chemistry and microbiology, she's a pro at deconstructing scientific studies and medical jargon. She’s on a mission to tell you what works and what doesn’t do you can save time and money and get the skin of your dreams.