This post may contain affiliate links.
Facial toners are one of the most important, but often misunderstood, steps in any beauty routine. Many people think it’s unnecessary, or they don’t know how to properly use it. As a result, they either don’t use it at all or use it incorrectly. One of the common questions is do you wash off toner? In this blog post, we’re setting the record straight on toner. We’ll cover what it is, what it does, and how to properly use it, including if it needs to be washed off or not.
What Is Toner?
A toner is typically water based and comes in liquid or spray form. They are designed to prepare the skin for better product penetration by removing any residue that cleansers may leave behind.
In the past, astringent toners were very popular, especially among acne sufferers. Astringents are like toners, but contain ingredients to “dry out” pimples and clear the skin. While that may sound awesome, the ingredients they use are terrible for the skin and can actually make acne worse! Bottom line, stay away from astringents!
While modern day toners are usually much better for the skin, you still need to watch out because many of them will still have irritating ingredients like alcohol, essential oils or fragrance.
Witch Hazel is also a popular toner and can be a great ingredient for oily and acne-prone skin types. Just watch out for the ingredients because many times witch hazel toners will also contain alcohol which can dry out and irritate the skin.
Toners can contain a variety of different ingredients to help with many different skin concerns. From dehydration and pigmentation to acne and aging, there’s a toner out there for every skin type and concern.
Modern-day toners tend to have lots of hydrating ingredients to add hydration back into the skin after cleansing. They can also have chemical exfoliants, anti-oxidants, brightening ingredients and more.
Toners help to remove excess cleanser residue and can also help remove makeup, dirt and oil your cleanser may have missed. They also help to balance the skin’s pH after cleansing.
What Does Toner Do
- Cleanses Skin – while cleansers are not meant to cleanse the skin per say, but when they’re used on a cotton pad and swept across the skin, they can help to remove any excess impurities your cleanser may have missed. However, if you just use them by pressing them into your skin with your hands, you will not get this cleansing action
- Balances pH – cleansers will typically alter the skin’s pH slightly and toners will help to balance the pH to skin’s optimal level (around 5). This is important to keep the skin barrier healthy and strong as well as to help defend against any pathogens
- Enhances Product Absorption – like cleansers, toners can also help product absorption. Toners will typically have humectants like hyaluronic acid or glycerin and these can help enhance penetration of your other skincare products like serums and moisturizers
- Preps Skin – toners can prep the skin for the rest of your skincare routine by keeping the skin clear of any impurities and enhancing product absorption
- Hydrates – many toners nowadays are packed with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin or aloe vera to help keep the skin hydrated and to add moisture back into the skin after cleansing
Toners can have additional benefits, depending on the formulation. They can help soothe sensitive skin, exfoliate, fight acne and aging and more.
Do You Wash Off Toner?
Now that we know all about facial toner, should you wash toner off your face or leave it on?
Simply put, you should not wash toner off your face.
Toners are meant to be left on the skin to do their job. If you wash them off, you’re essentially just washing away all the beneficial ingredients and wasting product!
Toners have tons of ingredients that can help to hydrate, balance and treat the skin, so if you wash it off, you’re not going to get any of those benefits.
Do You Wash Off Exfoliating Toner?
Many people are under the impression that you need to wash off exfoliating toners because they contain acids like glycolic acid or salicylic acid.
However, that is not the case!
You do not need to wash off exfoliating toners because the acids are actually beneficial for the skin. They help to slough away dead skin cells, smooth the skin and brighten the complexion.
If you wash it off after applying, you’re just going to be washing away all those benefits.
So, treat an exfoliating toner just like a regular facial toner and don’t wash it off!
How To Use Toner
So now that we know how important toners are and how to use them, let’s talk about the best way to apply toner to your skin.
Toners should always be used immediately after cleansing the skin and before any other product.
There are a couple ways you can use toners. There is no best way, so do whatever works best for you and your skin.
– Use a cotton pad: Soak a cotton pad with toner and gently swipe it across your entire face. This is a great way to make sure you’re getting even coverage and that the product is really sinking into your skin.
– Apply with hands: You can also just pour a small amount of toner into your hands and pat it into your skin. This is a great option if you’re using a more expensive toner and don’t want to waste any product.
– Spritz: Some toners come in a spray bottle which makes them super easy to apply. Just spritz all over your face and you’re good to go!
Whichever method you choose, just make sure you’re being gentle with your skin and not rubbing or tugging to hard with the cotton pad or your fingers.
Remember, you do not need to wash off toner after application! Just allow it to dry on its own or proceed with the rest of your skincare routine.
Do You Wash Off Facial Toner FAQ’s
Should I Rinse My Face After Toner?
When it comes to facial toners, many people wonder do you leave toner on your face or are you supposed to wash it off?
The answer is that you do not need to wash off toner after application! Just allow it to dry on its own and proceed with the rest of your skincare routine.
Can I Leave Toner On My Face Overnight?
Toners are meant to be left on the skin, so it’s perfectly safe to leave your facial toner on overnight.
How long do you let toner dry before moisturizer?
You should allow your toner to dry for a minute or two before proceeding with the rest of your skincare routine. This will give the product time to sink into your skin and do its job. Typically, it’s recommended to wait until the product sinks in completely and your face feels dry.
What do you put on after toner?
After applying toner, you can apply serum, moisturizer or all of the above! It just depends on your skincare routine.
Do You Wash Off Facial Toner? Wrap Up
So should you wash toner off your face before applying the rest of your skincare routine?
Toners are an important part of any skincare routine and should not be washed away. They help to cleanse the skin, balance pH, enhance absorption of other products, hydrate and more. So if you’re using a toner, make sure to leave it on your skin after cleansing for the best results!