Is TRESemmé Good For Hair?
This post may contain affiliate links.
Is TRESemmé Good For Hair
TRESemmé is a popular brand of hair care products, including shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. Like many drugstore brands, TRESemmé has a wide range of products that are affordable and easy to find, which is why it is a go-to choice for many women. While some TRESemmé products have received positive reviews, others have been criticized for being harsh on the hair and causing problems like dryness, frizz, and breakage. So, in this post we’ll break down the brand, products and ingredients to answer the question “Is TRESemmé good for hair?”
TRESemmé is an American brand of hair care and beauty products that was founded in the 1940’s and was initially intended to be marketed to salon owners only. The company changed hands in the 1960’s, and was purchased by Unilever in 2010.
As it became more popular, it began to be marketed to pharmacies and supermarkets, and more products were added to the original range.
The TRESemmé brand of products was initially only intended to be distributed to beauty salons. However, as interest in the products increased, it began to be marketed to supermarkets and pharmacies as well, making it available and affordable to more women.
In recent years, however, Unilever and the TRESemmé brand have faced allegations that an ingredient used in their hair smoothing products—DMDM Hydantoin—can result in hair loss and scalp irritation. It can also potentially be carcinogenic when applied directly to the skin.
Despite this controversy, TRESemmé remains one of the best-selling affordable shampoo and hair care brands in the U.S. So the question remains: Is TRESemmé good or bad for your hair?
TRESemmé Product Lines
- 25 Hour Volume: This collection is formulated to give long-lasting volume and body to hair. It is designed to resist humidity and keep hair looking voluminous for up to 24 hours
- Anti-Breakage: Formulated to help prevent breakage and reduce split ends. It is packed with strengthening ingredients and vitamins to help protect and strengthen hair.
- Beauty-Full Strength: Designed to restore the strength of hair and help protect it from damage. It made with ProPlex Fortifiant™ to help strengthen hair and prevent future damage
- Botanique: Made with with natural botanical extracts like coconut oil and hemp seed oil to help nourish and protect hair. It is designed to nourish, hydrate, and help prevent breakage.
- Color-Safe: This line is specifically designed for color-treated hair. It is formulated with gentle cleansing agents and color-protecting technology to help keep hair color vibrant and healthy.
- Fiber Full Volume: Designed to give hair full volume and texture. It’s formulated with collagen to increase body and give hair a thicker, fuller look.
- Keratin: Made with keratin to help strengthen and protect hair. Keratin helps to smooth the hair’s surface and improve shine and fight frizz.
- ProCare Curls: This collection is specifically designed for curly hair. It’s formulated with Porosity Balance™ to help define and enhance curls, while nourishing and protecting the hair
- Pro Pure: This collection is made with out sulfates, mineral oil, dyes, parabens and DMDM. It’s designed to help nourish and protect hair. It is designed to help keep hair soft, shiny, and healthy.
- Purple Blonde: Packed with purple pigments to neutralize brassy and yellow hair. Formulated for highlighted hair and blondes to enhance color.
- Rich Moisture: This collection is formulated to help deeply hydrate and nourish hair. It has hyaluronic acid and vitamin e to hydrate and moisturize dry hair.
- Silky & Smooth: Made to help smooth and tame frizzy hair. It’s formulated with argan oil to help reduce frizz and give hair a silky, smooth finish.
- Fluid: This collection is formulated to help provide lightweight hydration and nourishment to hair. It has products for volume, curls, frizz and color
- Flawless Curls: A styling collection formulated with a curl-enhancing complex that helps define and enhance curls. It is designed to boost hydration, tame frizz, and boost shine and definition without weighing down curls.
Is TRESemmé Good Or Bad For Hair?
TRESemmé is an affordable drugstore shampoo that contains many of the same ingredients as other comparably priced products. Silicones, sulfates, and phthalates are all quite harsh on the scalp and hair, and can lead to scalp irritation and hair loss over time.
TRESemmé has a wide range of hair care products that claim to promote healthy, smooth, and nourished hair. However, when looking at the ingredients list of their products, many ingredients raise a red flag.
Perhaps you’re still on the fence about whether TRESemmé products are good or bad for your hair? If this is the case, let’s have a look in more detail at what exactly goes into a bottle of TRESemmé shampoo.
Ingredients In TRESemmé Haircare Products
To get to the bottom of whether TRESemmé is a particularly bad brand or if the hype is overblown, it’s essential to look at the label and research the ingredients. Now, when you look at a label, your eyes may slowly glaze over when you reach the second jumble of letters in the shower.
Luckily, there are tools you can use to check the ingredients to see if they are safe or curly girl-friendly.
While the ingredients in hair care products seem like complete gibberish, they all tend to fall into these categories:
- Surfactants: these include sulfates like sodium lauryl sulfate and also non-sulfate varities for their sulfate-free range of products. Surfactants are what make products foam and help to cleanse the hair of any buildup of dirt oil or product
- Emollients: these ingredients make sure the hair is hydrated and moisturized. Some examples include jojoba oil, shea butter, and coco butter
- Humectants: these help to keep the moisture in your hair by drawing water from the environment. They’re often used in leave-in conditioners and styling products. Glycerin, honey and aloe vera are all examples of humectants
- Proteins: amino acids or silk proteins are commonly found in haircare products. This is often added to conditioners and treatments to help rebuild the hair shafts that may be damaged. Hydrolyzed wheat protein is a common form of protein used in TRESemmé products
- Vitamins: these can be either water or fat-soluble and help to nourish the scalp. Niacin, biotin, and panthenol (a form of vitamin B5) are often seen in shampoos and conditioners
- Antioxidants: these help to protect the hair from environmental damage. Vitamin C and green tea are two common antioxidants used in haircare
- Plant Extracts: like Rosewater, these can provide the hair with much-needed nutrients.
- Emulsifiers: these help to keep all the ingredients in a product mixed together so that they don’t separate. A common emulsifier is polysorbate-20
- Fragrance: this is what makes a product smell nice. Often, these fragrances are synthetic
- Chelating agents: these help to remove any build-up on the hair from minerals in water. Disodium EDTA is a common chelating agent used in TRESemmé prodcuts
- Parabens: these are preservatives that help to extend the shelf-life of a product. Methylparaben and propylparaben are two common parabens used in TRESemmé products
- Preservatives: these help to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold in a product. Phenoxyethanol is a preservative often used in TRESemmé products
So, are TRESemmé’s ingredients safe? The ingredients in TRESemmé’s shampoos and conditioners are generally considered safe. However, there is some controversy surrounding a few, namely preservatives and sulfates.
Why Is TRESemmé Bad For Your Hair?
The first ingredient that puts TRESemmé on a lot of people’s “To Avoid” list is silicone. Silicones are responsible for giving hair that silky feeling and can help to reduce frizz. However, they can also build up on the hair over time and be difficult to wash out. This can lead to dull, lifeless hair.
Many TRESemmé products contain a variety of silicones such as dimethicone. Silicones are meant to create a barrier to protect the hair from humidity and heat while adding softness and shine.
While silicone is generally harmless to the body, it can cause issues depending on your hair type. For one, locking moisture out over time may dry out your hair. Another problem is that, especially if the silicone is non-soluble, it will build up on the hair and scalp, weighing down the hair and irritating the scalp. This has made silicone a no-go in the curly hair community.
One ingredient that gets a lot of brands in trouble is sulfates;
Sulfates are a type of surfactant commonly used in shampoos and other cleaning products, and are known for their strong cleansing and foaming properties.
Sulfates, such as sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, are two common sulfates that are often found in shampoos. While they are effective at cleansing the hair, they can also be damaging and drying to the scalp and hair.
Sulfates can strip the scalp of its natural oils, leading to dryness and brittleness. Over time, this can make it difficult to style the hair and more prone to breakage.
They can also irritate the scalp, leading to itching, and even dandruff. In addition, sulfates can cause color-treated hair to fade more quickly.
Preservatives & Parabens
Preservatives and parabens are commonly used in haircare products as a way to extend the shelf-life of products and prevent them from growing bacteria or mold. However, these chemicals can be potentially harmful to our health and can cause a range of issues.
Preservatives such as parabens, formaldehyde, and phenoxyethanol are known endocrine disruptors, which means that they can interfere with hormone production and balance in the body, potentially leading to an increased risk of certain types of cancer.
While scientists have not confirmed the exact effects of parabens, TRESemmé and a lot of brands are moving away from them altogether. The negative press is driving a search for alternative preservatives and giant stickers reading “Paraben Free.”
Ingredients In TRESemmé Products That Are Bad For The Hair
Ingredients In TRESemmé Products That Are Good For The Hair
Although TRESemmé products do have some not so great ingredients, they also have a ton of good ingredients! Their more natural lines like Fluid and Pro Pure especially are well-formulated with tons of nourishing and strengthening ingredients without all the bad stuff.
- Bond Plex™
- Plant Extracts
- Coconut acid and jasmine flower acid
So Is TRESemmé Good For Hair?
TRESemmé is a best-selling drugstore haircare brand for a reason, despite the negative press they have been getting recently. And while not all TRESemmé products are formulated well, they do have some really great lines and products in their collections.
One of the biggest selling points of TRESemmé products are that they’re super affordable! You can buy an entire haircare line for under $50. It’s also accessible and can be bought at any major retailer and drugstores. These two reasons make it an ideal brand for most.
TRESemmé Has Tailored Products For All Hair Types
TRESemmé has 10 different collections that each have shampoos, conditioners, treatments, styling products and more. Each collection is tailored for specific hair types or hair concerns. Whether you have flat, limp hair or chemically damaged hair, TRESemmé has a product for you
TRESemmé Uses Well Researched Ingredients
Another huge plus is that TRESemmé uses some amazing ingredients, particularly in their Pro Pure and Fluid collections.
These collections feature ingredients like coconut oil, argan oil, niacinamide and other great ingredients. All of these ingredients have been well-researched and documented to be beneficial for the hair.
TRESemmé’s team of scientists and experts are dedicated to creating safe and effective products. They analyze each ingredient carefully before including it in one of their products.
Is TRESemmé Good For Curly Hair
TRESemmé’s Flawless Curls collection has some really great ingredients like Coconut oil, Argan oil and Avocado oil to help nourish, moisturize and hydrate curly and wavy hair.
However, this range of products also has sulfates and silicones, among other things like preservatives, alcohol and fragrance which can all negatively affect your curls.
Their Pro Care Curls line is sulfate and silicone free and features Porosity Balance™ technology to reduce frizz and keep your curls healthy. However, it does not have any kind of moisturizing ingredients like oils or plant extracts.
While TRESemmé products are not the worst for curly and wavy hair, there are certainly better options out there that are affordable and will care for your curls better.
Is TRESemmé Good For Dry Hair
If you have dry hair, TRESemmé’s Moisture Rich Line is probably your best bet as it contains ingredients like panthenol, glycerin and biotin to help moisturize and hydrate the hair.
While these ingredients are great for dry hair, the range also has sulfates and silicones which can strip the hair of its natural oils and further dry it out. So while TRESemmé’s Moisture Rich line can help with dryness to some extent, it’s not the best option out there and there are other drugstore brands that have better products for dry hair.
Their Pro Pure line has a few products made for dry hair that are formulated without sulfates, but again these products are lacking. They do not contain any particularly hydrating ingredients like panthenol, hyaluronic acid or glycerin.
So if you have dry hair, I’d skip TRESemmé and opt for another brand.
Is TRESemmé Good For Hair Growth
TRESemmé’s Biotin+ Fullness line is formulated with biotin, which is a nutrient that is known to promote hair growth. Biotin works by helping the body to produce keratin, which is the protein that makes up our hair, skin and nails.
While TRESemmé’s Biotin+ Fullness line can help with hair growth, it is not the most effective option out there and there are other drugstore brands that have better products for hair growth.
Is TRESemmé Good For Natural Hair
Most of TRESemmé’s products are too drying and stripping for natural hair. Though TRESemmé does have a couple lines that are free from sulfates, there are not a ton of ingredients in the formula that can benefit natural or african hair.
Bottom line is that while TRESemmé is not the worst choice for natural hair, there are other drugstore brands that have better products for natural hair.
Is TRESemmé Shampoo Bad For Your Hair
TRESemmé shampoo is not bad for your hair, but it is not the best either. While TRESemmé shampoo does cleanse the scalp and hair, it also strips away natural oils and can leave the hair feeling dry, brittle and lifeless. There are definitely better options out there when it comes to shampoo.
If you do want to go with a TRESemmé shampoo, definitley stick to their Pro Pure line that’s free from sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, dyes, and DMDM.
Is TRESemmé Conditioner Good For Your Hair
While TRESemmé conditioners are not the best, they’re generally fine to use on the hair if you are ok with using silicones in your hair products.
Most of their conditioners contain wonderful ingredients like oils, biotin, glycerin and more to nourish, smooth and repair the hair which is exactly what you want in a conditioner.
However, they also contain silicones which can build up over time and leave the hair feeling heavy, greasy and looking dull. There are definitely better options out there when it comes to conditioners, but if you do want to go with a TRESemmé conditioner make sure you use a clarifying shampoo every now and then to remove the silicone build up.
Does TRESemmé Make Your Hair Fall Out
While there are many claims (and even a lawsuit) that TRESemmé products cause hair loss, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Hair loss can be caused by a number of things including stress, genetics, hormonal imbalances, medical conditions and more. If you are experiencing hair loss, it is best to consult with a doctor or dermatologist to find out the underlying cause.
While there is no evidence that TRESemmé products cause hair loss, some of their products can be too harsh and stripping for the hair which can lead to breakage and thinning hair over time.
Is TRESemmé Good For Hair FAQ’s
Is TRESemmé trustworthy?
Because of TRESemmé’s recent controversies, many people are reluctant to purchase TRESemmé products.
TRESemmé is a widely trusted and respected haircare brand. It has been used by stylists and consumers for many years and has a good reputation for producing quality products.
Is TRESemmé high quality?
TRESemmé is a high-quality brand of hair care products that is available in most drugstores and supermarkets. The products are formulated to give your hair a salon-quality look, and many of the products are enriched with antioxidants and vitamins to nourish and protect your hair. Their Pro Pure line in particular is well-formulated and free of all the nasty ingredients that are commonly found in drugstore brands.
Is Pantene better than TRESemmé?
One of TRESemmé’s biggest competitors is Pantene. They both have similar price points and offer a wide range of haircare products to suit every hair type and hair concern. Both Pantene and TRESemmé have more natural lines that are free of sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, artificial dyes and DMDM, which are all the major concerning ingredients that we talked about above.
They offer similar products and lines/collections. The bottom line is that Pantene and TRESemmé are both great, affordable drugstore haircare brands and you can’t go wrong with either one.
Is TRESemmé Conditioner good for your hair?
The TRESemmé conditioners are not a bad choice to help reverse damage caused by heat styling and other hair treatments. They can replenish moisture and are an affordable way of smoothing and nourishing dry, damaged hair.
Is TRESemmé good for hair growth?
There are TRESemmé products that can help moisturize and strengthen hair, and can protect hair from the harmful effects of blow drying and heat styling. Along with taking vitamins and looking after your scalp, preventing hair breakage is vital in stopping further hair loss and promoting healthy growth.
Is TRESemmé shampoo good for your hair?
Some TRESemmé shampoos contain harsh chemicals and fragrances that could potentially cause hair to become dry and damaged over time. There are TRESemmé product ranges that do not contain sulfates, which are probably better for your hair than products that contain these ingredients.
Does TRESemmé make your hair fall out?
TRESemmé products themselves do not make your hair fall out. There are chemicals and ingredients in many affordable shampoos and conditioners that can be damaging to hair if used frequently. Blow drying, heat styling and a number of other factors are more likely to contribute to hair loss and damage.
Final Thoughts: Is TRESemmé Good For Your Hair?
TRESemmé is marketed as a salon-quality hair care brand that is affordable and accessible to everyone. As with all ‘affordable’ products on the market, there is a natural trade off between ‘price’ and ‘quality’. The question, ‘Is TRESemmé good for your hair?’ is something that everyone (hopefully!) after reading this article will be able to answer for themselves.
The ingredient in the shampoos and conditioning products that has been deemed potentially damaging and dangerous, and that the company has faced lawsuits about, has been removed from TRESemmé products as of July 2021.
They have also removed other ingredients that may be damaging over time, and have created specific ranges of products to appeal to customers looking for hair care with less harsh chemicals and unnatural substances.
However, their products do also contain fragrances and other chemicals that, when applied directly to the skin and hair frequently, may have a drying and/or damaging effect and may be problematic for anyone with sensitive skin.
There are, on the other hand, a wide range of other products on the market today that are made with all natural ingredients and do not contain chemicals that may be harmful to our hair and skin. They may be at a higher price point, though, so whether you choose these or continue with a product like TRESemmé is very much a personal preference!
If you enjoy using TRESemmé products, you like the way your hair looks and feels, and your stylist tells you that your hair and scalp appear healthy, it seems like it might be ok to continue using them! However, if you or your hairdresser have any concerns about your hair health, perhaps changing products is a good move.
- Is Pantene Bad For Your Hair?
- Is Dove Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
- Is OGX Bad For Your Hair?
- Is Tresemme Good For Hair?
- Best Drugstore Shampoo For Oily Hair
Elizabeth is the owner of The Blushing Bliss, a skincare and beauty blog that she started to order to help others navigate the overwhelming world of skincare. With skincare trends constantly changing, there’s one thing that will always be true: science. Elizabeth is here to help decode the science behind skincare and with a background in chemistry and microbiology, she's a pro at deconstructing scientific studies and medical jargon. She’s on a mission to tell you what works and what doesn’t do you can save time and money and get the skin of your dreams.